Thursday, February 6, 2014

Poverty's effects on children in Detroit

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/05/271997428/poverty-behind-detroit-s-high-child-mortality-rate

There has been a lot of attention for Detroit lack of financial stability recently. In conversations I have had about Detroit, I have taken away the fact that I should avoid Detroit at all cost for my own safety. I never considered the permanent effects that the poverty may have on the children and families in Detroit.

 I would like to share this story that I heard on NPR. It is shedding a light on the effects that poverty has on health, child mortality and crime. I thought it was interesting how the the social worker explained that the lack of support, poor environment and education all combined created the dangerous atmosphere for the community and for the children.  This communities problems seem to be coming from the same source.The interview focussed importance of preventative programs being a good solution to Detroit and other communities child safety, social and economic issues.
What do you think about the interview?

No comments:

Post a Comment